Top headlines
Lead story
Like anyone in the Washington, D.C., area who enjoys seeing live theater, music and dance performances, I can’t count how many shows I’ve seen at the currently closed John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Whether I was on a dressy date or going to the ballet with my daughter’s Girl Scout troop, the Kennedy Center and its elegant interior, with its sweeping views of the Potomac River, elevated the experience.
Now, Trump’s efforts to impose his will on the multi-venue complex could imperil the ability of future audiences to experience the arts there. I asked Andrew Taylor, an arts management scholar at American University, to explain how Trump was able to push the Kennedy Center to the brink.
“The main cause of what I would call a governance failure,” he writes, “is that most of those official oversight authorities now serve at the pleasure of the president.”
Understand what’s going on in Washington and around the world. Get our Politics Weekly newsletter.